The amazing weather is leading so many people to have a bbq during isolation – unfortunately we don’t own a BBQ grill. So, I opted to do a healthy oven cooked Greek style chicken skewer – which was delicious! We didn’t feel like we missed out at all!
Mood: something to enjoy in the warm weather, low fuss, prep ahead, healthy!
For the skewers:
Chicken breast (diced)
For the salad:
Vine ripe tomatoes
Olives (we used halkidiki olives stuffed with sundried tomato)
For the marinade:
For the salad dressing:
Red wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper
1. Cut the vegetables into 2x2cm pieces for the skewers – refrigerate
2. Make the chicken marinade – mix all the ingredients in a bowl: 3tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp paprika, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1.5 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp thyme, 1.5 tbsp garlic
3. Add the chicken, coat well. Refrigerate.
4. Cut the salad into chunky pieces, we used some lettuce as it needed finishing but it’s not traditionally used.
5. Crumble feta cheese over the salad
6. Make the salad dressing- 2tbsp of red vinegar, 3 tbsp olive oil, squeeze half a lemon, one tbsp of oregano and grind some salt and pepper into the mix. Mix well
7. Add the dressing to the salad. Mix and refrigerate.
8. When you’re around 30 minutes from serving put the oven on 200°c
9. Layer up the skewers – a good mix of vegetables and chicken.
10. Place on a baking tray (see photo) and put in the oven for 10 minutes
11. Turn the skewers 180° at 10 minutes and let it cook again for 10-12 minutes at 200°c
SERVE! The chicken should be juicy and vegetables slightly charred. Serve with the salad and some tzatziki (recipe for tzatziki can be found here: https://moodfooddiary.com/2020/03/29/gorgeous-greek-style-lamb-wraps-with-crushed-potatoes/ )
Enjoy! – Raj xo